This cupcake is every peanut butter lovers dream! Not being a huge fan of peanut butter myself (I know, I’m sorry – it’s not for everyone) I still wanted to create a cupcake that incorporated it. I am however completely addicted to caramel so why not combine the two?!
You can use shop bought caramel for ease but I used my homemade caramel recipe which I promise is super easy to make! I filled the cupcakes with caramel as well as drizzling it on top for extra flavour. After tasting these I have been converted into a peanut butter fan – at least when it’s in cupcakes!
Lets get baking!
230g Plain Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
110g Unsalted Butter (Room Temperature)
170g Light Brown Sugar
60g Caster Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
150g Peanut Butter
200g Unsalted Butter (Room Temperature)
400g Icing Sugar
40g Peanut Butter
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees (celcius) and line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners and set aside.
- Measure out your unsalted butter, peanut butter and sugars into a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer on a medium speed, whisk together your ingredients until light and creamy.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract to your mix.
- In a separate bowl, measure out your flour and your baking powder and set to one side.
- Slowly add your milk, whisking continuously, then gradually add your flour and mix until your ingredients are fully combined. Your mixture will be thick and creamy.
- Spoon the mixture into your cupcake liners until they are 2 thirds full.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until they are golden in colour, you can check they are cooked by inserting a toothpick or a knife into the centre of the cakes, if it comes out clean you’ll know they’re cooked through. Then place your cupcakes on a wire rack to cool.
- Measure out your butter and whip on a medium setting for about 2 minutes until slightly paler.
- Add 1 third of the icing sugar and continue to mix on a medium setting until fully combined. Add 1/3 of the milk to the mixture and mix until fully combined. Repeat this step twice more until you have a thick and fluffy frosting.
- Lastly add your peanut butter to the frosting and mix until fully combined.
If you want to make homemade caramel follow this recipe, click here.